Tuesday, September 3, 2013

King's Speech: An Eye Opening

A Film Worth Reflecting
King's Speech


         Yesterday, I got a chance to watch again the movie titled King's Speech. I'm not going to narrate or introduce to everyone the film since "you can just google it" right?? Instead, I will tell you the pointers that I realized as I watched the movie. And here it is...

             The King’s Speech describes the essence of public speaking and the struggles of speaker in the moment of delivery. In the film, the character was required to present a speech since he belongs to royal family and the speech to be delivered should be influential to listeners and could convey an important message to his folks but the conflict arose when the speaker exhibited a speech difficulty, he stammered throughout the articulation. It proves that every individual regardless of his category in society sometimes being confronted in the demand of  public speaking and the setback in making the words into action. There’s a ‘must’ in providing speech before an audience or even expressing simple statement to others; thus, learning how to address it effectively and outstandingly is very important to everyone and should not be neglected.
            Basically, learning is next to teaching so teacher should be a guide in directing the students in the correct path of delivering a speech. One of the noble characters in the movie is the one being portrayed by the false doctor as a speech teacher of the king, he might have nothing in his hands to prove he is a degree holder and a certified doctor but he got all the physical evidences to show that he is an effective teacher and a worthy speech specialist. His presence rekindles the hope of the king that his speech difficulty could be treated. And as future educator, I want to be like the speech therapist in the film because for my students I should be a model and doctor. A model because the students tend to imitate every action I made, the pronunciation of the words, the gestures and the expressions so the time I present myself to them is also the time of their learning and it will remind me to do best and in perfection, it might sound hard but I ‘must’ to avoid mass reproduction of mistakes today and beyond. And a doctor, a person the students could count in times of hardships particularly in speaking, as a teacher I can’t assume that all my students are exceptional of course, there are some who need hands to mold them to be in their best so as a teacher, patience is a virtue that should be present to continuously teach them what they should learn to overcome their difficulty and give them courage that they can surpass such weakness. Also, as an educator I need to be in full battle gear meaning I should have weapons or so-called tools to help students in aiding their impediment such as reciting a tongue twisters and physical exercises. Teacher alone can’t address all the speech difficulties suffered by the students; the family members have a great role in this matter, they should be the primary supporters of the learners to give encouragement and strength throughout the curing process.


            The film reveals that all people have their own weaknesses even you are the most influential person in the world or the poorest among the rags, you are not exempted but the good thing is there are always answers for those weaknesses. As I watched the movie, I see myself to B-B-B-Bertie the only difference is that I didn’t stammer instead sometimes I didn’t have time to take pauses and I can’t abruptly pronounce the sounds of –p and –f; I know their difference but occasionally I interchanged those critical sounds in the moment of articulating t
he words. So, as early as now I need to put some efforts to improve my speech skill before it’s too late and planning to search for my Doctor Lionel. The King conquered his speech impediment so can I.

No comments:

Post a Comment